The rate of positive drug tests has increased dramatically within the past few years. According to a recent lab analysis research study, results confirmed that the rate of positive drug test results has nearly doubled since 2015. Data from the study consisted of over 10 million drug tests conducted over a four-year period. If you are wondering which workforce categories were in the lead, here’s the top three:
- The largest spike in positive drug tests was 5% from the transportation and warehouse employee industries
- The second-largest increase was in the public administration category
- Finally, the finance and insurance fields landed in third place at 13%
Ready to order or have questions? DrugTestsInBulk.Com has a professional staff ready to answer your questions and to help you place your order today. Call us today at 866.461.7806. Ask us about our special pricing and how you can sign up to receive our newsletter and product promotions. Call Today!
This analysis suggests that employers need to honestly evaluate their drug testing policies. By continuing to pretend there isn’t a serious problem, they may be unknowingly facilitating a dangerous, and potentially costly, workplace environment. According to studies, these are some of the issues significantly affecting job performance:
- Hangovers or withdrawals that directly affect job performance
- Poor decision making
- Low efficiency of work
- Lower morale between co-workers
- Increased chances of having issues with co-workers/supervisors or job performance
- The preoccupation of substances that interfere with attention and concentration during work
- Illegal activities at work such as selling or buying illicit drugs from employees
- High turnover rate
- The increased cost of training of new employees
- Disciplinary procedures
It’s alarming to see the rate of positive drug tests rising so rapidly over time. More employees over time are showing up to work under the influence of drugs. This drug crisis is also contributing to the unemployment rate of local job markets. A few job finder websites reported that it takes upwards of 60 days to fill a job position in New York City because so many people are failing the pre-employment drug tests. Now the cities unemployment rate sits at a hefty 4.5%. Over 25% of job applicants fail the required drug testing. Economic analysts confirm that there is a direct connection between employees under the influence of drugs and employers who struggle to fill open job positions.
Quest Diagnostics, one of the leading clinical labs for processing drug tests, found that the number of US job applicants and workers testing positive has hit the highest rate in 14 years. In the U.S., the percentage of federally mandated drug tests for “safety-sensitive” jobs in categories such as truck driving, aviation, and transportation has reached an alarming rate of failures. Some believe this is due to the legalization of marijuana usage. Employees fail to realize that there are still laws that prohibit marijuana use during certain jobs, such as truck driving with a commercial driver’s license. DOT mandated drug tests for safety-sensitive jobs are important to ensure that all employees and surrounding civilians remain safe and avoid accidents.
Did You Know?
- The construction industry has experienced the largest increase in methamphetamine positive drug test results, with numbers being up by 15%each year
- The use of cocaine has risen since 2017 in industries such as administration, waste management, retail, and transportation
- Amphetamine use has also gone up for employees that work in health care and educational services
The highest positivity rates were recorded to be from consumer-facing industries such as retail customer service, health care, social assistance, and real estate. This is a fact employers shouldn’t ignore. It’s unsettling to know so many workers are under the influence and possibly impaired due to drug use at work.
As a business owner, is it time to get a drug testing policy?
Employers are changing drug testing and tolerance policies to ensure a healthy drug-free work environment. New, stricter policies are showing a trend in decreasing drug-related work incidents. If you decide to make changes to your drug testing policy, you will see a decrease in new employee turnover, fewer job vacancies and lower costs for hiring and training new employees.
Where can you buy the best drug tests for your business?
DrugTestsinBulk.com is the best place to order high-quality drug tests for your business. Drug testing at work is beneficial for both employers and employees because it promotes a safer working environment for everyone. Drug Tests in Bulk has noninvasive, easy to use drug test kits that provide accurate, instant results.
- Drug Tests in Bulk has the largest selection of affordable drug testing supplies for business owners, government agencies, rehabs or even household use
- DTIB offers extraordinary customer service to help you select the best option for bulk drug test orders
- Receive FREE ground shipping on orders over $75
Nowadays, drug testing is a simple procedure with no need for invasive methods or expensive laboratory costs. Drug Tests in Bulk helps make the drug testing process easier than ever by offering customizable panels that can screen up to fourteen illicit drugs with a single test. We also offer single-panel tests for every detectable drug on the market. It’s important to only purchase drug tests from a reputable drug test supply company to ensure fast and accurate drug test results.
Quest Diagnostics: Drug Testing Index. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.questdiagnostics.com/home/physicians/health-trends/drug-testing
CCOHS PSH Answers Fact Sheets. (2017, September 12). Retrieved from https://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/psychosocial/substance.html
References: Drug Testing Failure Rate for ‘Safety-Sensitive? Workers Soars. (2017, October 19). Retrieved from https://www.ttnews.com/articles/drug-testing-failure-rate-safety-sensitive-workers-soars
Employees and execs are failing drug tests at shocking rates. (2018, October 22). Retrieved from https://nypost.com/2018/10/20/employees-and-execs-are-failing-drug-tests-at-shocking-rates/
Drug Testing Failure Rate for ‘Safety-Sensitive? Workers Soars. (2017, October 19). Retrieved from https://www.ttnews.com/articles/drug-testing-failure-rate-safety-sensitive-workers-soars